Civil War and Crochet

I finally saw the first of the ten historical monuments I'm meant to be writing about for my History of Maine course. And in about an hour or so, or possibly tomorrow morning because I'm exhausted, I'll have written my first entry in the blog I'm meant to be keeping.

In other news, here is a granny square.



Go on, admit it. You're surprised it's not purple. Well relax, there will be plenty of purple ones. This is the first granny square I've ever made (thank you You Tube). I plan to make one from every different type and colour of yarn I own, and every type I ever get. Cos I'm sad like that. And my stash is mostly purple, so there'll be plenty of purple. I'm going to sew them together as I go (having learned my lesson whilst making my family loom.

Hmm, having just done a brief scan of my blog history, I don't think I actually told you about the blog. When Jen taught me to knit, nearly a year ago, I started making patches. Lots and lots of patches of this one type of yarn to make a quilt with. I measured the first patch, and I measured my duvet, and decided I needed 70 patches.



It became called a family loom because I'd decided that I wanted it to go down through my following generations as a family heirloom, and at Christmas last year my baby sister Michaela (she was 11 at the time) asked if she could knit a patch for the loom. The name stuck. She did knit a patch. It's almost exactly in the middle, with a little M on it, so everyone knows she did it.

It took me almost three months to knit all the patches, amongst my other projects. Then it took a whole day, thanks to my insisting that no two adjoining patches should match, to lay them out in order. My eternal gratitude to Charlotte and Cayden who helped me lay them out, reorder them til they were right and then pinning numbers to them all. It took another two months to sew the damn thing together.



I love it, it's comfortable and delicious and my first big project and ridiculously heavy, but I have learned my lesson! This time I'm sewing the squares up as I go.

0 comments: