Stitch markers

In my knitting and stitching adventures (which are nearly a whole year old by the way) I have never had occasion to use a stitch marker. I think I read a pattern that required them once, and purchased a cheap-ass package from my LYS. Something like this...



But I never used any of them. They're floating around in my stitchwork drawer/box/folders/area at home. Then, I joined Ravelry. I entered the wonderful world of swaps and discovered this delightful craze of handmade stitch markers. Ones like this...



And these...



And these!!!



Those last ones are made by my fellow Magpie (GO MAGPIES!) Olive Bumblebirch - at some point I plan to spend a fortune in her Etsy store.

Anyway, people make these delightful stitch markers and send them in swaps. Some people use them, some collect them, some do both. I've never received any, but I do so many swaps I figured I'd buy the really cheap equipment needed so I can make some and send them to my swappees.

Today I started a Christmas present and normally when crocheting I just count, I don't mark the rounds like I know people normally do. But I'm doing a WHOLE lot of stitches in a round at this point and I need to start decreasing for one round and blah blah blah. Point is, I need a stitch marker!! So I made one. My first one ever...



Very quick and simple, and purple, naturally. But then I stumbled upon a problem. When knitting, the usage of such stitchmarkers is fairly obvious. You just slip the loop on to the needle and flip it over. But I'm not knitting this particular present. I'm crocheting it. I held the stitch marker in one hand, and my project in the other and hit a mental roadblock. I have absolutely no idea how to use it on a crochet project! So I stuck a safety pin on it.



I'm a zillion percent sure I'm using it wrong, but it'll show me where my rounds start, which is what I needed it for.

4 comments:

I have not yet made stitch markers, but I have seen lots of ones with lobster clasps on them that you can open and close for crocheting. My spoiler in the Odd Ducks Tim Burton swap sent me some awesome ones! I'll post a pic.
:-) Sibby

 

I wish I could claim I make the Cake or Death stitch markers, as they're super cute! Alas, they are made by Knitorama and can be found here: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32277112.

I do also make stitch markers but they're usually quite simple: http://bumblebirch.etsy.com/

 

Yay! Your first made stitch marker :) For crochet, I agree with Siobhan. Lobster clasps are fantastic as well as the leverback earrings. Here's a site in case you need a pic of them. http://www.firemountaingems.com/earring_findings.asp
-Clara

 

After reading your blog today I grabbed my beading gear and made myself some stitch markers.

^_^