New Thing # 31

Date: October 1st 2009
New Thing: Try lobster

I have never had lobster before. I am in Maine. It would be wrong of me not to try it at least once whilst here. And this evening the cafeteria did a lobster and steak night. When my card was swiped I was given a little ticket, good for one lobster or one steak. I didn't realise they'd be WHOLE lobsters though, and I didn't wanna get one just to find out I didn't like it. So I pinched a bit of Holly's.

I was a little freaked out about eating lobster, since reading The Lobster Coast for my Maine History course and reading all about lobster sex and lobster babies. It makes for weirdness. But I tried it anyway.

It was... rubbery. It didn't taste very nice really, but then I'm not really a big seafood person. But I tried it, that's the important thing.

Here is what a lobster looks like pre-cooking.



Here is what a lobster looks like after it's cooked - incidentally the things are boiled alive!!



I understand that lobsters are a delicacy, and that they provide big big business in Maine and other places, but I don't like them. I like my food to not look like animals. When I sat down at the table, Holly's lobster was practically waving its creepy antennae things at me. Ewww.

1 comments:

Welcome to the craziness of New England where everyone loves lobster. :P We (Robbyn and me) never get to eat it because it's too expensive. Don't worry I'm not fond of the boiling alive bit either.