New Thing # 51

Date:- 23rd December 2009
New Thing:- Travel in First/Business Class

So after all the palaver with Delta Airlines, I ended up in a Business class seat for my trip home from America. Which was kinda cool. The chances of me being able to afford a business class seat on my at any point in my life are highly slim, so I took advantage.

I used the Sky Club lounge in the airport - eventually. I knew it was there, and I knew I was allowed to go in there, but I felt completely unworthy and it took me hours to go in. I was in the airport most of the day because checkout at the hostel was at 11am and my flight didn't leave until 7pm, but I had nothing else to do all day. The business class check in had me through and past security within a couple of minutes and I spent the rest of the day hanging out in the departure lounge. And eventually I plucked up the courage to go into the Sky Club. It was pretty fancy, I felt completely out of place, and the food they provided wasn't actually that great, but it was quiet and kept me occupied for a few hours.

The flight was fun though. We got to board first, naturally, and the seats were huge!



I had a seat to myself by the window, which was kinda cool :-) Plus, once we'd boarded all the peasants had to walk past us to their seats. Hahaha!



Not only did they see how wonderful our seats were, but they saw us drinking our free orange juice and champagne, from actual glass. Not plastic cups, but actual glasses.




Sidenote - I still don't like champagne, but it was free. Once the flight was under way we were given hot flannels - I'm not entirely sure what for, but they were a LOT hotter than I was expecting - and a bowl of delicious hot mixed nuts. An hour or so into the flight we had some absolutely incredible food.



That's only the first course. Seasoned shrimp with avocado and salsa rosa, tomato florentine soup, romaine hearts with tomato and blue cheese. Please note the teeny tiny individual salt and pepper pots.



And that is fillet of beef (which was delicious!) with grain mustard sauce, accompanied by sweet potato wedges, zucchini and yellow squash.



Finished off with an all natural vanilla ice cream sundae with hot fudge sauce, whipped cream and chopped nuts, garnished with a pirouline cookie. So good I had two :D

After dinner I watched a movie or two, then tried to sleep for a bit. The seats moved flat out into beds, but when it was flat I couldn't stop giggling, so I ended up just a little reclined. I only managed to get a couple of hours sleep though, as the personal entertainment system was far far too appealing. Breakfast wasn't quite so good. Muesli with strawberries, yogurt, fresh fruit and bagels. But then I'm not much of a morning person anyway.

Generally, I enjoyed the flight. I'm glad I got to experience business class, especially since I didn't have to pay for it, but I think I would rather have arrived home when I'd originally planned. Still, that beef was absolutely melt-in-your-mouth-scrumptious.

0 comments: