A knitting dilemma

I'm making this monkey, surprise surprise. And it's a pattern that I brought from someone on Ravelry, and it was full of mistakes so I've been conversing with the author to get it fixed and sorted. Now the pattern is all straight. That's good.

I'm only 26 rows into a 400 row project, but it's taken me fifty tries to get this far. It took a week of tinking and ripping and tinking and ripping to get past the 4th row mark. A LOT of effort has gone in to these 26 rows.

However... the yarn is awful. I think I'm using Reynolds Utopia, and it's 100% acrylic but I used it before for a crochet project and it was perfectly fine. This time it's driving me crazy. My hands get overly sweaty after five stitches, and keep slipping on the needles, and then the yarn gets sticky with the sweat from my hands and it's just not a pleasure to knit with at all.

Half of me wants to frog it, and start again with a new yarn, but the other half of me is still traumatised by the four hundred million times I tinked and frogged the first 4 rows and doesn't want to start over. Any suggestions?

2 comments:

If the yarn is annoying you that much then should you ever finish you'll probably think "Ugh, that was a horrible job" every time you look at the monkey? May well be better to just start again with a yarn you like better? :o)
Plus, you've done those first few rows so many times they'll surely be easier this time? :o)

 

I agree with Anonymous. You've put in all that effort to get this far, why spoil it by knitting in a yarn you don't like? out knitters' instincts are usually right about these things, I'd go with your gut feeling and start again. As traumatising as it might seem now, you'll be glad you did it later.

Eugene.