New Thing # 45

Date:- August 24th - December 20th 2009
New Thing:- Live in student dorms

Since I lived in the town already when I applied to go to Keele University, it made no sense for me to live in the student accommodation. It would have meant paying to keep all of my belongings (at the time I had a flat-full of furniture) in storage, and getting rid of my cat, only to be homeless at the end of each year. So I was an off-campus student. As a result, living in dorms here in Maine is my first experience of living in dorms.



I kind of lucked out. They put all the international students in the newest dorm on campus, so it's really swish and neat. I like it. I got put in a suite - two bedrooms with two people in each, with a common area and a bathroom. I could quite happily transport this apartment to England to be my home. Turn the second bedroom into a craft room. Perfect. :-)

I was a little worried about the dorm thing, having lived in a YMCA before. That was utter hell. But it hasn't been too bad. It's a little weird actually sharing a bedroom with someone; I haven't done that since I was a little teeny weeny girl and shared a room with my sister. There is a lot of extraneous noise, from upstairs and from the corridors and things, and we have a lot of rules. Not allowed to light candles, have certain cooking equipment and certain types of lamps. After seven pm we have to sign guests in. All standard stuff for a dorm I guess, but not things I'm used to. I've been living alone for over a decade now, and having all these new rules took a lot of getting used to. But it's been nice having people around to talk to, even if I now can't wait to get back to own company. I'm not used to being around people all the time. I'm looking forward to having my space and privacy back.

0 comments: