Getting home

When I bought my flight to come out to America for this study abroad trip, the return trip was meant to be a flight from Portland to New York on December 20th, and then a flight from New York the same day arriving in London early next morning.

It's December 23rd, and I'm still in New York.

There has been a big big snow storm in the USA that has completely screwed up the travel plans of hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of people I don't care about, as well as my own plans. I woke up Sunday, ready to leave USM and Portland, only to find out that my flight had been cancelled. Cue a lot of swearing. The Delta website informs me that my flight has been reassigned to one on Christmas Eve, changing in Atlanta to arrive in London early Christmas Day. Cue a lot more swearing. NOT GOOD. I wanted to go home.

After crying a lot, swearing a lot, and speaking to Neil online a lot, we discovered that the second leg of my journey - the New York to London bit - was still flying. It was only the Portland to New York flight that was cancelled. We figured that if I could get to New York I could still catch that second leg. So Neil brought me a flight with Jet Blue that lunch time, getting to New York in plenty of time.

Note: I spent all day calling Delta every three or four minutes - engaged. Constantly.

The Jet Blue flight was cancelled. Cue more crying. Cue more swearing. Cue breaking into my suitcase to eat Christmas presents. Cue throwing soft toys around the room in a temper tantrum.

Jet Blue transferred me to a flight early on Monday morning. By which time I was already meant to be at home :( The original second leg went off to England okay, albeit delayed, so I assumed that New York was the best place to be. More flights available to London. So, Monday morning I hopped in a taxi and went off to Portland airport. Checked in.

Oh wait... my baggage was too heavy. Both suitcases. I needed to pay $130. I didn't have $130 so I dragged my bags outside and cried for a bit. Then I dragged them back in to a bench by a bin and went through everything throwing stuff away. Resorting the stuff I kept - mainly filling my carry on backpack with books. Heavy heavy books.

This time when I checked in the bags were fine. So I went through security - only needed to go through the metal detector three times. Yay. Got to the gate - flight delayed. Urgh! I ended up in a bar/pub getting food and had a very nice lunch. The flight left late, but it went and I got safely to New York.

Woohoo! After spending an hour waiting for Jet Blue to spit my luggage out, I dragged my tired ass to the next terminal to go find a Delta desk and put myself on a flight to London. I queued. I queued some more. I watched people yell. I watched people cut the queue and watched other people scream at them. And finally I got to the desk. I explained the story to the dude at the desk, who informed me that since my rearranged flight was to go to Atlanta, there was nothing he could do and I was in the wrong place.

Cue more swearing, more tears. He gave me a phone number and told me to call them to get them to reissue my ticket. First of all I found a quiet corner of the airport and sat and cried for twenty minutes. When I could speak (sort of) I called Neil, who listened to me sob for a bit and said nice things and was generally wonderful. Then I sat and waited for those crying hiccups to subside, and I called the Delta helpline number. Engaged. I tried again. Engaged. Half hour later it rang and I got put on hold. Half hour later I explained the whole story to some guy who typed a little on his computer then told me that he had to transfer me to the international flights people. More time on hold, until I finally speak to a woman who listened to the whole story, fiddled with her computer for a bit and told me there was nothing she could do. I had to go back to Portland. Oh, or she could put me on a flight from New York on Wednesday, if I paid $1300. I told her I had to sort stuff out, but I'd probably be going back to Portland and taking the 'original' Portland-Atlanta-London flight. She said to make sure I call back, or go to the desk to reconfirm.

More tears. Lots more tears. I called Neil. This is where my wonderful knight in shining geek t-shirts saved my day some more. He brought me a Jet Blue flight BACK to Portland. And he sent me a couple of hundred pounds so I could make a reservation in a hotel near Portland airport and get some food to last me til Christmas Eve. The man is amazing.

So, to clarify, my new schedule: it's Monday. I have to stay in the airport til the 7.30am flight back to Portland, check into a hotel, go back to the airport on Thursday and get a flight to Atlanta, then a flight to London and arrive home on Christmas morning. Sucky, but that was the plan. I just had to go to the desk to reconfirm.

I queued. I queued some more. I queued a little bit longer. It didn't bother me, I had a book. I had all night to spend in the airport anyway, so I was fine. Then I get to the desk and speak to Miguel. I explain, he types in my details, then tells me I'm not booked on any flights.

I didn't cry. I didn't swear. I was too shocked. I nearly passed out. I wanted to just dig a hole in the floor right there and give up. Miguel asks me to tell him the whole story. So I do. Everything. He just looks at me, says that it was obviously the airline's fault and said he'd book me into a business class seat on Wednesday, from New York. I asked him how much that'd cost me and he said nothing. I almost jumped over the desk and kissed him. The man is an angel!

I called Neil back and told him that as long as he cancelled the Jet Blue flight before it departed he should get some money back (he overslept), and then I cancelled the hotel reservation in Portland. I headed down to the arrivals lounge to see if I could get a room in a hotel. Only ones available were $250 a night, and higher. Way beyond my budget for two nights. So I got a $50 taxi into the city, booked myself into the Hostelling International place I stayed at when I came here in November ($60 for two nights) and promptly fell asleep.

Yesterday I spent in bed mostly, reading and websurfing. I also had to repack, again. The suitcase my sister had lent me finally died. The stand was broken, a wheel gave out, the zipper was buggered. Not good. I went through everything and threw some more stuff away until everything fit in the one bag I brought at Walmart, my backpack and my satchel. Plus, I had the most horrendous headache. A combination of normal headaches, crying all day, stress and the heat in the hostel drying me out. Not good. But I woke up this morning and my flight hadn't been cancelled. Yay!

So here I am. Check out at the hostel was 11am, my flight doesn't leave til 7.15pm, but I wasn't gonna lug my bags around New York all day, so I got a taxi straight to the airport. Wasn't expecting to be able to check in for a few hours, but within five minutes I was checked in, through the special business-class security and sat in the departures lounge calling Mum to let her know what was going on.

I'm now sat in the Sky Club - very posh - waiting for my flight. I get to go home, finally! It's been a stressful few days, and I've spent more time crying than I do when in the midst of an episode, but I'm okay. In a few hours I get on that plane and can fall asleep until I get back to England.

The moral of this story - Don't fly Delta. EVER!

2 comments:

aww, it's not the airline, its the luck of the draw this time of year. New England weather ruins a lot of flight plans, but I'm glad to know you're safe and heading home soon!

-Kate

 

Gotta love New England weather. Ok, so New York isn't New England, but close enough. So happy you are getting to head home. Merry Christmas from my roommate and me.

P.S. I know I haven't sent the stuff to you. I will when you get settled back in at home. Less stuff you had to carry.