A stitching advancement

A loonnnng time ago I decided I wanted to crochet. My dear friend Cayden taught me how. You can read about it all here, it was one of my New Things. It did not end well.

I can chain. I can chain forever and ever and ever. It's finger-knitting with a hook. But whenever I try the next step I end up with a big knot of yarn that I can't help but think would have been put to much better use as a knitted project.

Since then I've had another attempt or two, but never getting any further, so I usually forget about it. Until I go looking for knitting patterns and inevitably run across some amigurumi patterns.

This is an amigurumi...



And so is this...



And so are all these...





On the internet, and floating around the stitching circles within which I find myself at home, there are a million zillion patterns for little amigurumi dudes. And you can't flipping knit one!!

So I had another go at crocheting. This time I tried a youtube video...



And, after a few disastrous knots and a few yards of wasted yarn, I finally got the hang of it. I managed to make... well a ball. And today I made another ball. And now I have a body type thing.



Once I get a chance to find a yarn store here, I'll get some eyes and other notions and maybe by the end of next week my double ball thing will actually be some kind of amigurumi. My first crocheted project!

Of course, having learned from a video I now have no idea how to read a pattern. For this I appealed to the aforementioned Cayden and he found me a cute little pattern that says everything long hand. So that's my next step. I've done a bit of revision/research, and I think I might be able to handle a simple pattern with the shorthand version. We'll see I guess.

I am a multi-talented stitcher! I knit. I embroider. I crochet! And, after purchasing some delicious fabrics from Walmart the other day, I plan to become a seamstress as well. Watch this space.

--

UPDATE: Whilst searching for images of amigurumi to show you, I found this. I don't know if I'll ever be able to find a pattern, or if I'll ever be good enough to make it, but I WANT IT!!!

0 comments: