Labor Day Weekend

This weekend has been fun, if entirely exhausting. Yesterday was Ryan's birthday.



It was his 21st, so a bunch of us who were old enough went out for a few drinks. It was a little weird. I'd kind of assumed that I wouldn't be drinking out here, because college students were all supposedly underage. But drink I did!



That is a Starburst cocktail, which contains vodka, peach schnapps, grenadine, sierra mist and some pineapple juice. And this one...



...is a Mojito, which is mostly RUM. RUM is good. I'm not entirely sure why I've taken to writing it like that, but I am. We started off the night here at a restaurant called Sebago...



...and then moved on to this cool little pub place in Portland called The Flask Lounge, where I had even more RUM. And took a squillion photos.



That's my RA Aimee with me. She's lovely and friendly and bouncy. It was a fun night. I didn't drink half as much as I wanted to, cos I was very very short on funds, but I had a good time, and have made new friends to go out drinking with when I do have the money.

And then today, which is Labor Day here in the States, a bunch of internationals went to see the last baseball game of the season. We saw the Portland Seadogs totally thrash the New Hampshire Fisher Cats at Hadlock Field.



It was fun. I wasn't expecting it to interest me for very long, so I took along my reading. The first inning was quite exciting, as we'd never seen anything like it before (although it's a LOT like rounders), but they lost me during the 2nd and 3rd. I finished off some reading. After that it piqued my interest again and I got quite involved. We had to leave before the game was over, because our lift had to be somewhere, but I checked the scores when we got home and they hadn't changed much. Portland 12 - New Hampshire 4. Ha ha! Suck on that Fisher Cats. Seadogs rule!!

I like baseball. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch a whole game without getting bored a little bit, but it was interesting. Unfortunately it was the last game of the season, so we won't see any more while I'm here. But basketball starts in October, and Ice Hockey will be coming up. I reeeaaalllyyy wanna see some hockey. Blood on ice will make a nice striking photo.

2 comments:

Trust you for the "blood on ice" comment.

I've been reading your blog since you got to america, sounds like you're having a brilliant time.

Stay away from the fluff!! bad for you! very bad.

^_^

 

it might be bad for me, but it's so very very very tasty