First Class as an American Student

Today I woke up feeling weird for several reasons. First off, for the last week I've been a tourist. Today I officially became a resident. Very scary. Secondly, my ankles were the size of watermelons...




I think it's a combination of the heat, all the exercise I've been doing and the fact that I'm mostly sat at a desk or standing here whereas at home I'm usually sitting sprawled on my bed. Thirdly, there was someone else in the room. My roommate Heather moved in yesterday. She's lovely, friendly, cute, etc etc. But I haven't shared a room with anyone since my sister and I were given our own rooms, back in the eighties. It's very strange.

I had planned to walk into Gorham (the town I'm staying in) to go get some bits and pieces and try a find a post office, but my ankles gave me second thoughts. Instead I chatted to Neil online until it was time to go to my first class.

History of Maine, with Libby Bischof. Aside from the fact that they timetabled us in the only room in the building with those horrible chairs with fixed individual desks and I had to go to another room to get a chair I could flipping fit in, it was a good class. I'm actually looking forward to getting started with the projects. We have to visit a minimum of 10 historical monuments and keep a blog record of them... keep an eye out for that soon. We also have to do a big Maine Memory project as our final exam piece, I just need to figure out what my topic will be.

Tomorrow I have even more to do; collect packages, collect bagged lunch, get bus to Portland, go to a lecture, go to another lecture, go to the bank and close the account I was so excited about opening (it turns out the charges for wiring money are even bigger than the charges for paying on a credit card anyway), find a damn post office (the things are proving elusive, and I have postcards and overdue swap packages to send out), get back to campus, get some dinner, attend another lecture, and get the last bus back to Gorham. It's gonna be a fun day. Tuesday is my longest day. I have lectures 'til half nine at night. But I have Wednesdays off, so it evens out.

I'd better get some sleep, just as soon as I figure out what time bus I need to get tomorrow. Love to you all!!

0 comments: