Year of the Circuses

Considering that it's April 22nd, and that last week I saw my fourth circus of the year, I've decided to officially make 2009 the Year of the Circuses. And I'm going to make every effort to see as many as I can. The ones I've seen so far?

1) Circus of Horrors

Some time in February I believe, the second time I'd seen it. Both times with GKL, both times at Victoria Hall in Stoke, and both times I absolutely loved it. The first time (last year) I fell in love with Dennis, who performs the first act. Namely, starting the show in a big tank of water and being yanked out of it by chains, to perform an acrobat act over the audience, dripping wet, dressed only in white cotton trousers, on said chains. It was delicious. This time around, GKL decided that since we enjoyed the show so much, we'd take advantage of the 2nd row seats we were offered. The view was spectacular. The water was warm though, which we weren't expecting. Show was as good as the first time. Blood, gore, dwarf urine. Brilliant. Will definitely be seeing it next year.

2) Chinese State Circus

Early March, again with GKL, in the Regent Theatre of Stoke. It was pretty good. Was introduced to some new acts, including some girls doing stuff on bicycles that I suppose traditional circus acts did on horses. It was fun.

3) Cirque du Soleil

I wrote about this as a New Thing. Always wanted to see it. Vaguely disappointed, but glad I did.

4) Mooky's Tower Circus

Very good. Had a disco ball. Mooky did some painting. There were aliens, and a trapeze act of a circling rocket ship. And the only circus I've seen so far that had a water display finale.

0 comments: