New Thing # 16

Week 16: 13th April 2009 – 19th April 2009

Date:- 14th April 2009
New Thing:- take my baby sister to Blackpool

I am fifteen years older than my youngest sister, hereafter known as Sprog. When she was an infant, and a toddler, me and our family friend (I can remember the code I've used for him, if I have, so I'm just gonna use his name 'til I get home and can change it) Lovell used to take her to Bournemouth quite a lot. We're from Hampshire, and Bournemouth was about an hour's drive away.

Since I've moved up to Stoke, whenever Sprog has come to visit we usually just stay in town. Her visits aren't half as frequent now. But when she and Lovell came up this weekend, he mentioned going to Alton Towers, and since I'm too big for most of the ride harnesses I suggested Blackpool Pleasure Beach instead. He said he wasn't fussed, he just thought a trip out of town would be nice.

So Tuesday dawns and nice and early (way too early for me who woke up at 3.30am and couldn't get back to sleep) the three of us headed off to Blackpool. It turned out that the Pleasure Beach was too expensive for us at the time, since Lovell was paying for all three of us, so we explored the tower to start with.



Our entry ticket...



...included a visit to the Tower Circus, and since it was just about to start we headed there first. I've already seen Mooky's Circus, but it was a different show so I wasn't bored in the slightest. Especially since they had rope acrobats (rapidly becoming my favourite circus act) and some rollerblading artists from the Circus of Horrors which I've seen twice. There were a few dull moments, but there are in any show I guess. The candyfloss Lovell got us, and the plastic spinning plates Sprog and I brought helped.



After the Circus we (avoiding the millions of over-tanned and made-up dancers that swarmed the place from the Junior Dance Federation event that was in the ballroom) had a quick viewing of the aquarium and squealed at Nemo and Dory. Then we went up the Tower and eventually persuaded Sprog to do the Walk of Faith thing. She only stepped onto the glass after I did, and then dragged her. But she did it. We even got her a certificate to prove it. And we posted Mum a postcard from the top of the Tower so it'd get its own special postmark.

Out of the Tower we headed for lunch, then the Central Pier - via the tram. Expensive Hook-the-Duck, a few rides, a vow never to ever go on the flipping Waltzer ever again (long story), and then Sprog finally convinced us to go to the arcade. I'd made the mistake of giving her a load of 2 pences. She's now addicted to those machine things. It's quite funny. She and Lovell had a race on an arcade thing, I beat her at Air Hockey, and we went to Egypt...



..and then we all headed back to Stoke to meet GKL and stuff ourselves silly at Taybarns. Good day had by all, including Sprog, who fell asleep in the car on the way home.

0 comments: