Library allnighter

Keele uni library has finally succumbed to sixty odd years of pressure to extent their opening hours. For a trial period only they are opening for 24 hours during the week. Because I've been getting really, really behind in my work, I decided to spend all day at the library today, but slept too late and ended up getting here about seven pm. The library won't consider extending the opening hours on a permanent basis unless the trial is popular. So I consider my night here to be

JESUS! How much weight has Johnny Vegas lost? (Sorry, am watching Genius on BBC Iplayer, since I can take advantage of a much faster internet speed than my own. I've caught up on Britain's Got Talent, My Family and now Genius.)

Anyway, I consider my night here to be playing my part in convincing the library to stay open longer forever. Not that I've really been needed. The place has been reasonably busy all night. Not middle-of-essay-time-during-the-day busy, but the computer lab was at least 75% full. The hired security guards going around with their clicky things will have an accurate figure, no doubt. At the moment, it's 6am and there are three of four of us in the lab, but who knows how many people in the rest of the building.

It's been very weird. About half ten I felt ridiculously naughty, since the library shuts at 10 usually. There were loads of us in there, but it still felt naughty. When I left the house, I was a little intimidated. As a child I always wanted to spend all night in the library, but I was a bit weirded out by this plan. Not only does this library have a significant lack of picture books, but I'd planned to do a lot of work. Also, pretty much everyone else can plan an allnighter at the library, get bored at 3am and walk across campus to their room, or to their car and go home. I neither live on campus, nor drive. And the last bus was just past midnight. If I got bored, or too tired, I'd either have to walk home or fall asleep in a corner somewhere. I haven't reached that dilemma, because I didn't wake up until 4pm, and I've had crap loads of work to do, but the possibility was still scary.

I have got a lot of work done, and I've been out of the house, which I've barely done all vacation. I've still got a million pieces of work to do before term starts in two weeks, so chances are I'll be back a few times. If I could get away with it I'd probably move in, not that I've found anywhere to sleep. Mind you, I did always want to see how long Pro Plus could keep me awake for....

0 comments: