Written at 07.52 on Tuesday April 21st 2009 in the study area downstairs at Keele Library

The first bus left an hour ago. I could have gone home already. But I'm still here. Apart from arriving cleaners and early staff, I think I'm the only person still here. It's a little more eerie now. I was the only person in the IT suite five minutes ago. I kept wondering if they'd changed their minds and I wasn't meant to be there. And I'm the only person on this floor. It's deadly quiet. Actually, I don't think 'deadly quite' is the right phrase. It's not silent. I can hear my watch ticking, and I can hear birds chirping outside, and a motor running somewhere. I can hear cars on the roads and there's my own sniffling and breathing. But it's peaceful.

At home, I always have a DVD playing or Winamp running on shuffle. Even when I sleep I need to have noise in the background. Quiet allows the thoughts in my head to get louder and harsher and messier. So I avoid quiet. But this is nice. Peaceful. I'm tired, but I feel relaxed. Even though it's quiet, the voices have calmed down a little. Maybe I should come down here everyday.

The sun is up. It's that bright, beautiful, horrible sunny weather that gives me headaches and makes me itch and sneeze. It's ok to look at, and last summer (hopefully this one too) I'd sit on the grass with GKL and friends and work/stitch/read/doze/watch the world go by. But I don't like to be too active in it. I have been wondering thought, what the sunrise would look like from here. Since I came into the library the sun has set and risen again. Maybe next time I pull an allnighter here I'll come down to the basement a little earlier and watch the sky change colour.

1 comments:

I couldn't do it! I'd be fine until about 2am then realise i was trapped as I can't afford the taxi home and theres no busses after midnight.