New Thing # 36 - My trip to Salem!

Date:- October 31st 2009
New Thing:- Spend Halloween in Salem, Massachusetts

Yesterday we went on a field trip to Salem for Halloween. It was fun. Very interesting. I didn't get to do as much as I'd have liked, because it was very theme-parky and the queues for things were ridiculous, but I enjoyed visiting all the witchcraft stores, and the people watching. I saw all kinds of brilliant costumes.

- A million witches and pirates (they were like a walking catalog. I loved all the clothes. If I could have gotten them in my size I'd wear them everyday).
- A few flappers and mobsters
- Dumbledore
- The Teletubbies
- Mario and Luigi
- A mustard and ketchup bottle
- Various walking trees and shrubs
- Troy Bolton
- Giant babies
- Melanie Daniels from The Birds (complete with Birds)
- Waldo (or Wally if you're English)
- Buzz Lightyear
- Various Alice in Wonderlands (including one male) and Mad Hatters
- A zombie wedding party
- Elvis (he was driving a trolley tour bus)
- The Phantom
- A jellyfish
- Ooompa Loompas
- The Flintstones
- A toddler dressed as The Flash
- A zillion Freddy Kruegers
- Death a few times, including one who was 9 ft tall
- A perfect replica of the Batman outfit on a 4 or 5 year old girl, except it was pink
- Thing 1 and Thing 2
- Little Red Riding Hood and the Wolf
- Teenwolf
- Power Rangers
- The character from the Scarlet Letter (complete with an A)
- 4 million little Disney princesses
- A couple of Harlequins
- A keg
- Hellboy
- The Crow
- Donnie Darko rabbit (walking down the street with V (from V for Vendetta) and Rorshach - officially the coolest thing I'd seen all day)
- Mini Darth Vader
- Amish
- Dude riding an ostrich
- The Chipmunks
- Chicken
- A body bag
- A monkey in a barrel
- Charlie Chaplin
- Vegetables
- Clark Kent (as well as some Supermans)
- Spock
- Michael Myers
- A dog dressed as a lobster
- A dog dressed as a pumpkin
- Whoopie cushion
- Cheese
- Child ghostbusters
- Link from Zelda
- Crayons
- Princess Leia
- Pennywise the clown
- Naruto
- The Joker
- A Smurf
- Marilyn Monroe and Joe DiMaggio

Even amongst the USM students there was a Peter Pan, a nerd, a vampirate, a pimp, a cowboy, a few witches, an escaped convict and a very short-lived caveman. I also heard a rumor that there was a couple walking around dressed as chefs, with their pram turned into a saucepan, and their little baby dressed as a lobster. Very cool, but I didn't see them unfortunately. I also saw the Delorean!!

I didn't get to go to the Witch Museum, or Count Orlok's Nightmare Gallery, or the Witches Cottage, or any of the other things I'd planned because the queues were really really prohibitive, and I was feeling mildly edgy like I said. But I got to take a trolley tour, which was the fun. The tour guide was an older bloke who kept bicke ring with the driver. And I found a yarn store. Yarn!! And a bead store. A whole bead store. I've never seen a bead store, only bead sections in other stores.

And I made a new friend, Branden, who I spent the journey home singing Hairspray songs with. It was a good day, and I'm really glad I went, but I'm now adding "Go to Salem in September" to my Bucket List. When the attractions are open, but not so bloody busy.








0 comments: