Written at 2.15 pm yesterday in my notebook...

I'm sat on the grass at Fort William Park in Cape Elizabeth, Maine. In front of me is Maine's most photographed lighthouse.



Behind me is a huge flagpole with the flag at half mast for Teddy Kennedy.



To my left Holly, Johnny and Geni are enjoying our picnic lunch of warm quiche (they serve quiche hot over here!) and pasta with pesto, and the most delicious chocolate brownies in the world. To my right are three little boys. Two of them are kicking each other and the third is clapping excitedly and chanting "fight fight fight". Alla round me are families playing frisbee and flying kites. The sea is huge and looming in front of me, looking beautiful. The sun is not so hot as to make me uncomfortable, and is warming my skin, adding to the not-quite-burnt-yet red glow on my skin I've collected this week. I can hear wind and laughter and kids playing and the internationals chatting away, and gulls and ships. I can smell the grass I'm sitting on, and the salt in the air, and the warm chocolate brownies that somehow keep finding their way to my mouth. It's nice here. The breeze counteracts any negative effects from the heat and sun. I'm sat here - NOT joining in the game of frisbee that Holly, Geni and Jaap just started - and I'm happy. Peaceful. It's a good feeling.

0 comments: