It's the Final Countdown

(Anyone who doesn't have that song playing in their head now should stop reading, for you are not worthy to read my blog :p)

Anyway, it's half past three in the morning, on Monday 24th August 2009. In two hours Michael will leave his house to come and pick me up and take me to Heathrow. In six and a half hours (hopefully) my flight will leave for America.

Everything is done. Passport and visa scanned, back up email sent out, luggage packed, weighed and repacked. I'm sat at mum's desk with my handbag on one side of me and my backpack on the other. All I have to do is put on shoes and put my laptop back in my bag. It's a little scary.

All day I've been fidgeting and wandering around. Not able to sit still or concentrate on anything. I've been flitting between nervous, terrified and excited. Most of the time I was all three at once, which is a wierd feeling. Now the nerves and the fear are kinda wavering. Excitement is pretty much taking over. This week has been ridiculously long. Once everything was sorted and I had no chores left to do, all I had to do was wait. I'm not so good at waiting. I've been antsy for days. I just wanna get going already!

Of course, once I get to the airport the nerves will kick in again. There's so much that could go wrong. I know that none of them are particularly likely, I've planned well (aside from running out of English money, but more about that later) and thought of pretty much everything. But I can't stop worrying. It's in my nature. I'm a worrier. I won't be satisfied until I get to my dorm room in Maine. And then I'll find new things to worry about.

Not sure when I'll be able to blog again. In theory I get to my room, plug in the cable, plug the other end into the laptop and voila... interwebs! But I rarely find simple things that simple, so we'll see. I'll be facebooking regularly from my phone at the airport though.

As for while I'm away, expect lots of posting and bajillions of photos on facebook. I will definitely still have an interweb presence. You can't get rid of me that easily. (Insert evil laugh here.)

In other news, and this is where my English money went, I met Dave Gorman. DAVE GORMAN!!! Anyone who doesn't know who that is should just bog off. He's a genius. The man behind Googlewhack Adventure, and Are You Dave Gorman, and Genius, and America Unchained. Google him! Youtube him! He's fantastic.

He's doing a cycling tour of England, and he's going to Stoke-on-Trent, which I was ridiculously excited about until I realised that I would be on another continent at the time. But I looked at other dates and found one quite close to my mum's town, conveniently while I would be at her house. So Thursday night me and Squish went to Andover (via a slightly convoluted route, and don't get me started on the transport problems) and saw Dave Gorman do a warm up show for his tour.

Very funny man. Hilarious. I want a Sacred Tiny Football! That will make no sense to anyone except those in The Lights theatre in Andovicus on Thursday night, but I think it's funny. After the show, Jennie (aka Squish) and I lined up to get his autograph. I was gonna get him to sign my ticket but they were selling his books and the only one I don't have was America Unchained and I was going to America in a few days and it was only 8 quid and I had 8 quid in my wallet (minus 20p that Jennie loaned me). It was all a sign! I had to buy the book!

In my Gorman-giddyness I forgot about being in the airport for at least three hours on Monday morning and needing money for breakfast. I forgot about everything but that book. So I brought it.

Squish and I are stood in the queue to see Mr Gorman and I'm flipping through the book, as one does when one has purchased a new book. I was actually looking at the pictures section in the middle, but Squish poked me and said "oi, don't skip to the end." Dave Gorman overheard, and told me off. Not only did I see Dave Gorman, and meet Dave Gorman, and get Dave Gorman's autograph and get my photograph taken with Dave Gorman, but he told me off. I got told off by Dave Gorman!



That large tall person looking giddy, that's me. That man sitting next to me? THAT'S DAVE GORMAN!!

0 comments: