Purplocity Archive

Thursday, 19 March 2009

Birth of Purplocity

While sat in bedroom, on my purple sheet, with my best friend dying my hair (purple) I was flipping through her knitting magazine. My eye is naturally drawn to a purple headed advert, and said best friend (known as GKL - see my other blogs for why) yelled out "Purplelina, that's a perfect name for you."

We'll ignore the fact that the advert was actually for PurpleLinda, because she was covering my head (and my shoulders and my back and my bed) with purple gunk at the time. I laughed, thought about it a second, and as soon as possible grabbed my laptop (unfortunately not purple) in order to set up a new blog. I was appalled to discover that purplelina.blogspot.com was unavailable and looked up this blog that must be so wonderful to have stolen my moniker. It isn't wonderful. It's one, very short entry from a woman who calls herself Violet Girl, from a year ago. A travesty! But, I settled on Purplocity.

Why, I hear you ask, am I writing a blog about purple? Well there are many reasons.

1) I like to type, and I like to write. This gives me another reason to do both.

2) I like purple.

Let me elaborate on number two for a moment. I REALLY like purple. In my line of sight at this precise moment in time is my purple hair, my purple socks, my purple sheet, three of my many purple skirts, three of my purple tops, my purple knitting bag, my purple bra, my purple monkey, numerous purple socks floating around, my purple boots, the purple monkey I am knitting myself, the purple sweater I am also knitting myself, and the tub of washing tablets I brought just cos I liked the purple (I neither know nor care what they do for my washing).

I am a large girl, yet whenever I enter any clothes store or charity shop I still automatically reach for anything purple even though I know it is never going to fit me. It is purple, and must be admired. When I enter yarn stores I gravitate towards purple yarns. In fact, all but three balls of my stash are purple of some description. I have so far completed 11 knitting projects and have three on the go. 12 of these are purple. My wardrobe consists of black and purple. The only other colour is blue (and that's only cos Girlguiding UK doesn't make Guider uniforms in purple). I have a purple Keele hoody, even though it doesn't fit. I have purple sunglasses, I manage to dye all my non-purple towels and underwear purple by not separating my laundry, I purposely dyed my jeans purple because I couldn't find purple jeans in my size...

Do I need to go on? I am obsessed with purple. It is my favourite colour, and I feel it expresses me. It's slightly gay, like me. It's slightly wacky, like me. It suggests fun and randomness, like me. It has regal qualities, which I would have if I were slightly more ladylike. While on holiday in New York a few years ago I found a shop called "Purple Paradise" that sold everything you could think of, but in purple. I had very little money due to a repacking accident, but still spent that day's food allowance in there. Oh, and four hours. FOUR HOURS!! In a shop full of purple.

I have many obsessions. This one deserves its own blog. Here it is.

Viva la purple!

-----

Monday, 23 March 2009

More adventures in purple

I am currently sat on my bed watching a movie (The Changeling, for anyone who's interested) and trying to get a decent picture of my brand new purple hair. The lighting in this room sucks. I'll try it again tomorrow while I'm out.

I'm also working on the purple penguin I'm knitting. The pattern (unsurprisingly) calls for black and white yarn, but because I'm me I'm using two different shades of [purple. I've done all the knitting I can do on it at the moment, I need to go by a yarn of something contrasting for his feet and beak. I seem to be developing a pattern (pun entirely intended) for purple soft toys. Purple, slightly misshapen, a little bit ugly soft toys. Observe the evidence so far...




I'll post my penguin as soon as he's finished.

Viva la purple!

-----

Tuesday, 24 March 2009

Gaining a Reputation

Today I went to my local yarn store, Abakhan, to get some yarn. I needed another ball of purple James C. Brett Marble Chunky for the sweater I'm making myself, and I needed a ball of King Cole Bamboo to finish off my penguin.

I took my purchases to the till, where the lady asked: "Is your favourite colour purple?"

Now, there are many things that might have made her ask this. It could be the purple vest I was wearing, or the purple skirt, or the purple streaks in my hair, or even the purple ribbons in my shoes. It might have been the ball of purple yarn I had placed in front of her. I think it was probably the fact that I go to Abakhan quite a bit, and that I buy yarn quite a bit. This particular lady serves me quite often. She might have noticed that 99% of my purchases are purple. Purple yarn, purple embroidery silks, purple beads, purple buttons. If they sold purple knitting needles I'd buy them too!

Viva la purple!

0 comments: