Caramel Cupcakes

So, I've done some more baking. Eventually! Was a bit of hassle this time. The recipe called for buttermilk, and when I was doing my grocery shopping Tuesday I couldn't find any buttermilk in the supermarket. I knew I wouldn't be anywhere near another supermarket all day, so I looked online for an alternative. Milk and lemon juice. Easy. I'd get some while I was in town later. Except that none of the shops I went in had any lemon juice, so I didn't get any milk either.

Then later I decided I'd make some more cupcakes but with a different recipe, one that didn't use buttermilk. Except that all the recipes called for milk, and I hadn't brought any because I couldn't find lemon juice. Sigh. Ok, save it for another time then.

I got the buttermilk, and then I made these...



The original recipe is called Toffee Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting, but that's just too fussy. I also added some chocolate to the frosting, cos who doesn't love chocolate.

I also had another issue with the cases. I brought a cupcake tray from Morrisons when I was in there, then didn't find any cupcake cases anywhere the entire day. So I brought a pack of six silicone ones that are reusable and peel off and are absolutely brilliant.

The recipe was for 12 cakes, so I baked the first batch, and went to peel the cases off so I could do the second batch. The toffee bits had sunk to the bottom and were too runny, so I left them in the cases to set for a while. The toffee didn't set, it's impossible to have the cakes without cases. So I've had to cover the rest of the batter and stick it in the fridge until I've eaten the first batch and can reuse the cases. I think my toffee bits were too big to be honest. Next time I'll make them smaller. If there is a next time. I haven't tasted them yet. Hang on.....

Droooooool. They were delicious. Well, I only had one (they're SEVEN weightwatcher's points each). The frosting is scrummy, but incredibly overpowering. I think it needs less of something, I'm just not sure what. The cakes are just devine. I think I might make the second batch with just melted chocolate on top, and leave the frosting. Either way, success!!

0 comments: