New Thing: Challenge # 41

Challenge 41: Dye Yarn

As you know from Challenge 39, I won this yarn and koolaid months ago. And I finally got around to dying it!

My skein collapsed almost right away, which I should have taken as a sign, but I didn't. Because I'm me, and I ignore stuff like that. I mixed up the kool aids and picked these two.

I had visions of a nice red and blue variagated yarn with maybe some splodges of purple. Looking at it now, that blue was never going to work.

It was a fun process, although not if you're my living room carpet. But it didn't turn out like I'd wanted. The blue was invisible, and the red came out pink. Perhaps I used too much water, who knows. But it was done. In my drying cupboard I had a "skein" of pink yarn dying and slowly felting itself together. I put off winding it for ages, because I was convinced it was going to be all felted and matted and one big knot, but it actually came out quite well.

It's not an utterly horrible colour, if you like pink, and there aren't too many destroyed patches. And it's quite nice to work with. I made a patch for my crochet quilt.

I'm definitely going to try dying yarn again, eventually, but I think I'll use a different dye.

Current saved total: £80
Current donated total: £125

0 comments: