Anyone got a spare £400 I can borrow?

Ok, here's the Maine update. This morning I had a phone call from the woman at Keele who organises the study abroad programme. I, as predicted, failed my history module. (The good news is that it's the only module I failed). I will, as predicted, have to do reassessment sometime between August 10-14th. I'm due in Maine on August 24th. I won't receive the results of the reassessment period before I'm due to go away. I need to go to Maine as scheduled, and await the results. If I fail the module and don't get the required 120 credits, the American Studies department at Keele has the right to bring me home, and the study abroad department at Maine has the right to send me home.

So, I'm going to Maine. I may only be there for a few days, and I might get deported back, but I'm going. Oh wait, one other obstacle. This sticky little visa mess.

I've scoured the internet. I've looked at advice sites, and official sites, and read the nice complicated document about eligibility for visas on the US Embassy website. Criminal convictions are mentioned, but I can't find a single mention of cautions, other than that I need to declare them. This is good news. This means that I'm likely to be approved a visa.

On the other hand, I've looked into what happens if I am refused it. It isn't permanent. I can apply for visas as many times as I like. It will affect tourist travel though. The UK is part of the Visa Waiver Program, but is you've been refused entry to the US or refused a visa, you are not eligible for the Waiver Program and must apply for a visa. Oh the irony.

I can buy a flight today. I've looked and I've found one for £373.60 that gets me there at the right time with no ridiculous layovers or anything. There is one for thirty quid cheaper but I'd arrive in Maine too late to sign in and would need to buy a room in a hotel anyway.

Catch - I've also looked up how much this flight would cost if I brought it next week, or tomorrow. Approximately £600. Apparently at the two month point, flights get expensive.

The way I see it, there are a few ways this could go down...

1) I buy the flight today, I get approved for a visa, I go to Maine, I pass the reassessment, I enjoy four months studying in America like I've dreamed my whole life. Cost = £373

2) I buy the flight today, I get approved for a visa, I got to Maine, I fail the reassessment, I get sent home, but I've had a nice trip to America. Cost = £373

3) I buy the flight today, I get refused a visa, I stay at home and have wasted the £373.

4) I don't buy the flight today, I get approved for a visa, buy the flight then, go to Maine, pass the reassessment, enjoy four months studying in America like I've dreamed my whole life. Cost = £600 +

5) I don't buy the flight today, I get approved for a visa, buy the flight then, go to Maine, fail the reassessment, get sent home. Cost = £600 +

6) I don't buy the flight today, I get refused a visa, don't go to Maine. Have saved money.

I can't decide whether it's better to spend the £400 now and possibly have wasted it, or to have to pay £600 + in a month and a bit. Personally, I'd prefer to buy the flight now. Unfortunately, my calculations for saving for a flight were based on having to buy it after the visa approval. Which means I have approximately £100 quid saved for the flight, and I can't access it 'til Monday. I can only buy the flight today if someone can lend me £373.60 and let me give them a hundred back on Monday and pay the rest at a later date.

Any takers?

2 comments:

You buy the flight today and if it all totally falls apart, you go anyway and have a lovely holiday :)

 

great idea, red. apart from one little thing. if i get denied the visa i'm no longer eligible for the visa waiver programme, which means i can't enter the us without a visa.