New Thing # 5

Week 5: 26th January 2009 – 1st February 2009

Date:- February 1st 2009
New Thing:- watch a Superbowl

It’s intrinsically American and what with me

a) Being an American Studies student
b) Going to study out there for 16 weeks
c) Wanting to live out there

I decided I should watch it. It was aired at 11pm on BBC 1 and because it was so late and would run ‘til the wee hours (and with me not really understanding the sport) I invited GKL and we sat watching it and knitting.

Arizona Cardinals and Pittsburg Steelers played the 43rd Superbowl. It was vaguely interesting. It got exciting in parts, and there were plenty of very gross collisions. I suppose I would probably have enjoyed it more if I understood the rules of the game.

It was late, and we were tired so we decided we’d watch the legendary half time show and then give up. It took ages to reach half time. 30 seconds left in the second quarter took about 30 minutes because of time outs and deliberations and whatever else they were up to.

And then the half time show wasn’t even very good. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band came on and sang a few songs. Perhaps if I was a Bruce fan it would have entertained me, but I’m not, and it didn’t. So we gave up. I guess not all of my New Things can be fun.

I did check the results the next day though. In Tampa Bay, Florida, on February 1st 2009 the Pittsburg Steelers took their 6th Superbowl title by beating the Arizona Cardinals 27-23.

0 comments: